If you’re looking for a budget-friendly vacation, the USA is full of incredible options. From charming coastal towns to stunning national parks, there are plenty of Cheapest Places to Travel in the USA that won’t break the bank.
If you are a couple on a budget, there are numerous romantic options available that will be light on your pocket. Some of the Cheapest Places to Travel in the USA for couples include Savannah, GA, Sedona, AZ, and Salt Lake City, UT. These destinations offer a unique blend of scenic beauty and culture, making for a memorable vacation without spending a lot.
The USA is a vast country with a plethora of options to explore. Some other Cheapest Places to Travel in the USA on a budget include Austin, TX, Albuquerque, NM, and Memphis, TN. These cities offer plenty of attractions and activities at affordable prices while giving visitors a glimpse into the local culture and history. So, pack your bags, grab your camera, and get ready to embrace a budget-friendly adventure in the USA!
- Top 10 Cheapest Places to Travel in the USA
- Exploring National Parks for Less
- Budget-Friendly Road Trips Across America
- Discovering Hidden Gems in Small Towns
- Affordable Urban Adventures in Major Cities
- Camping and Hiking on a Dime
- Enjoying the Beach Without Breaking the Bank
- Visiting Historical Sites on a Budget
- Savoring Local Cuisine on a Shoestring
- Conclusion: Traveling the USA for Less
Top 10 Cheapest Places to Travel in the USA
If you’re looking to explore the United States on a budget, don’t worry, you don’t have to break the bank! There are plenty of budget-friendly places that offer great experiences without costing a lot of money. Below are the top 10 cheapest places to travel in the USA:
- New Orleans, Louisiana – This city has a ton of charm, great food, and plenty of attractions. You can enjoy free live music, walk around the French Quarter, and indulge in delicious local cuisine. For couples, New Orleans is a great spot for a romantic getaway without overspending.
- Las Vegas, Nevada – Although it’s known for its expensive entertainment options, Las Vegas is also a great destination for budget travelers. Casinos offer cheap or free drinks, you can find budget-friendly buffets, and there are plenty of shows with affordable ticket prices.
- Austin, Texas – Known for its live music and food scene, Austin is a great budget-friendly city. You can enjoy free concerts and festivals, visit outdoor spaces like the Barton Creek Greenbelt, and indulge in delicious food truck fare.
- Portland, Oregon – This city boasts plenty of outdoor activities, like hiking and biking trails, and has a great food and drink scene. You can visit the iconic Powell’s Bookstore, explore the Portland Museum of Art for free on certain days, and hike the nearby Mt. Hood.
- Denver, Colorado – With a mix of urban and outdoor activities, Denver is a great budget-friendly destination. You can hike in the nearby Rocky Mountains, visit free museums, and stroll the city’s many parks.
- Nashville, Tennessee – Known as Music City, Nashville is a great place to enjoy live music without spending too much money. You can visit the Country Music Hall of Fame for free on certain days, explore the beautiful outdoors in nearby parks, and enjoy the city’s eclectic food scene.
- San Antonio, Texas – This city is home to the historic Alamo and has plenty of affordable attractions. You can stroll the scenic River Walk, visit the famous San Antonio Missions, and indulge in delicious Tex-Mex cuisine.
- Salt Lake City, Utah – Salt Lake City is a great place for outdoor enthusiasts on a budget. The city offers affordable skiing, plenty of hiking trails, and free attractions like the Utah State Capitol and Temple Square.
- Kansas City, Missouri – This city has a mix of urban and outdoor activities, with affordable restaurants, museums, and parks. You can explore the historic 18th and Vine Jazz District, visit the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art for free, and enjoy the scenic outdoors in nearby parks.
- Charleston, South Carolina – This city boasts beautiful architecture, charming streets, and plenty of affordable attractions. You can stroll along the scenic Battery and Waterfront Park, explore the historic homes and gardens, and indulge in delicious Lowcountry cuisine.
These are just a few of the cheapest places to travel in the USA on a budget. With a little research and planning, you can enjoy a memorable vacation without overspending.
Exploring National Parks for Less
If you’re looking for breathtaking landscapes and outdoorsy adventure, the national parks in the United States are some of the best places to go. Here are some of the cheapest ways to explore them:
1. Get an America the Beautiful pass
If you plan on visiting multiple national parks in the USA, the America the Beautiful pass is a must-have. For only $80 a year, you get access to over 2,000 federal recreation sites, including national parks, national wildlife refuges, and more. And if you’re a senior, the pass is only $20 for a lifetime!
2. Camp inside the park
Camping is not only an affordable way to stay overnight, but it’s also a great way to experience the beauty of the park after dark. Many national parks have campsites available, some for as little as $10 – $20 a night. Plus, waking up in the middle of nature surrounded by mountains, forests, or waterfalls is an experience you’ll never forget.
3. Plan in advance
Booking your visit to a national park in advance can save you lots of money and time. Plan your trip during the off-season (usually November to April) when prices are lower, and crowds are thinner. Also, book your campsite, hotel room, or other accommodations ahead of time to ensure availability and lock in the lowest prices.
4. Look for free options
Not everything in a national park requires a fee. Check the park’s website for free activities like hiking, birdwatching, wildlife viewing, and ranger-led tours. You can also bring your own food and drinks to save money on dining inside the park. Just make sure to follow the park’s rules and leave no trace behind.
5. Join a volunteer program
If you’re looking to give back to the environment while exploring national parks, joining a volunteer program could be a great option. Many parks have volunteer opportunities for individuals or groups, such as trail building, habitat restoration, and education programs. In return for your service, you might get free camping, tours, or other benefits.
Whether you’re traveling solo, with a partner, or with your family, national parks in the USA offer some of the most stunning and unforgettable vistas on the planet. By following these tips, you can make your visit affordable, budget-friendly, and eco-friendly at the same time.
Budget-Friendly Road Trips Across America
If you’re looking for an affordable way to travel and explore the USA, a road trip is an excellent option. With thousands of miles of open roads, scenic routes, and picturesque landscapes, there’s no shortage of places to see. Here are some budget-friendly road trips across America you can plan.
Route 66 is a classic American road trip that spans over 2,400 miles, making it one of the most iconic drives in the country. The historic route runs from Chicago to Santa Monica, California, and it takes you through eight states. You’ll pass through charming small towns, historic sites, and stunning landscapes.
Pacific Coast Highway
The Pacific Coast Highway is a beautiful drive that runs from San Francisco to San Diego. The route cuts through the stunning California coastline and offers breathtaking views of the ocean. Be sure to stop in charming towns like Monterey, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz.
Great River Road
The Great River Road is a scenic drive that spans over 2,000 miles and runs along the Mississippi River. The road trip takes you through ten states and is perfect for those who love nature and history. Along the way, you’ll pass through charming towns, wildlife refuges, and historic sites.
The Florida Keys offer some of the most beautiful ocean views in the country. Starting at Key Largo, you can drive the Overseas Highway all the way to Key West. Along the way, you’ll pass through breathtaking bridges, coral reefs, charming towns, and delicious seafood shacks.
Utah’s Mighty Five
If you love nature, Utah’s “Mighty Five” national parks are a must-see. The scenic drive takes you through Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches, and Canyonlands National Parks. The route offers breathtaking views of canyons, red rocks, and stunning landscapes.
No matter where you choose to go, a road trip is an excellent way to explore the USA on a budget. So pack your bags, grab your partner, and hit the road for an adventure you won’t forget.
Discovering Hidden Gems in Small Towns
When planning a budget-friendly trip, considering small towns in the USA can save you a ton of money while also providing unique experiences. Here are some of the cheapest places to travel in the USA for couples or individuals on a budget:
1. Bisbee, Arizona
Bisbee is a small mining town near the border of Mexico and offers a glimpse of the old west. It’s an ideal getaway destination that’s budget-friendly and provides a rich historical experience.
2. Dahlonega, Georgia
Dahlonega is situated at the southern end of the Appalachian Mountains and is home to numerous wineries and panoramic views. You can spend some quality time with your significant other while sampling wine, stargazing, and hiking.
3. Marquette, Michigan
Marquette is a beautiful harbor town alongside Lake Superior in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Stroll along the beach, visit the historic lighthouse, go on a hike, and explore the local brewery and distillery scene.
4. Jerome, Arizona
Another small mining town in Arizona that is well worth a visit is Jerome. The town is built atop a hill overlooking the valley and offers incredible panoramic views. Explore the town’s rich mining history, enjoy local art, shops, and restaurants.
5. Paducah, Kentucky
Located in the heart of Kentucky, Paducah is a beautiful historic town on the banks of the Ohio River. Check out the art district or take a walk across the flood wall murals.
These are just a few small towns in the USA that offer budget-friendly, yet amazing experiences for couples or individuals on a budget. Take a chance to explore the hidden gems, and you might just find yourself with a new favorite destination.
Affordable Urban Adventures in Major Cities
When you’re on a budget, major cities can seem daunting with their expensive tourist attractions and pricey restaurants. But don’t worry, there are plenty of affordable urban adventures waiting for you in some of the cheapest places to travel in the USA.
Explore Seattle, Washington
Seattle, commonly known as the “Emerald City,” is a great destination for budget-conscious travelers. Start your adventure by visiting Pike Place Market where you can grab some fresh produce while watching the fishmongers toss fish. Then, take a stroll through Olympic Sculpture Park for some free outdoor art. Finally, head to Kerry Park for a stunning view of the city’s skyline and the iconic Space Needle.
Discover Portland, Oregon
Portland is often praised for its hipster culture and eco-friendliness. Luckily, it’s also one of the cheapest places to travel in the USA. Make sure to check out the Portland Saturday Market for unique and handcrafted souvenirs. Then, take a stroll through the International Rose Test Garden and marvel at the stunning varieties of roses. Finally, enjoy a hike in Forest Park, the largest urban forest in the country.
Experience San Diego, California
San Diego is known for its sunny beaches and lively nightlife, but it can also be a budget-friendly destination. Start your adventure by exploring Balboa Park, the largest urban cultural park in the USA, which offers free museum admission on select days. Then, head to La Jolla Cove to see some seals and sea lions up close. Finally, take a stroll through Old Town San Diego State Historic Park for a glimpse into the city’s rich history.
Visit Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, the birthplace of America, is an affordable destination that’s perfect for history buffs. Start your adventure by visiting Independence National Historical Park and see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, where the Declaration of Independence was signed. Then, head to Reading Terminal Market for some delicious local bites. Finally, stroll through the charming neighborhoods of Old City and Society Hill for a glimpse into the city’s past.
Go to Nashville, Tennessee
Nashville, the heart of country music, is a budget-friendly destination that’s perfect for couples. Start your adventure by visiting the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum to learn about the history of the genre. Then, head to the Johnny Cash Museum to see memorabilia from the Man in Black himself. Finally, take a stroll down Lower Broadway and listen to live music from some of Nashville’s up-and-coming artists.
Overall, major cities don’t have to break the bank. By visiting these cheapest places to travel in the USA and taking part in affordable urban adventures, you can make unforgettable memories without spending a fortune.
Camping and Hiking on a Dime
For those seeking an outdoor adventure without breaking the bank, camping and hiking are the perfect options. The USA is gifted with several national parks, nature reserves, and campsites that offer breathtaking views of mountains, lakes, and forests. Below are some of the cheapest places to travel in the USA for couples or solo travelers who want to enjoy nature while on a budget.
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee and North Carolina: With over 900 miles of hiking trails, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park offers visitors a wide range of activities to enjoy, including biking, horseback riding, and fishing. The park also has several free attractions, including a visitor center, wildlife museum, and historic structures. Camping fees range from $14 to $23 per night.
- Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming: Yellowstone is the oldest national park in the USA and is home to the famous “Old Faithful” geyser. Hiking and camping are popular activities in the park, with campsites ranging from $15 to $34 per night. Visitors can also enjoy fishing, boating, and even stand-up paddleboarding at Yellowstone Lake.
- Shenandoah National Park, Virginia: Shenandoah National Park has over 500 miles of trails for hiking, including a section of the famous Appalachian Trail. The park also offers camping, fishing, and wildlife watching. Entrance fees are $30 per vehicle, and camping fees range from $15 to $20 per night.
- Sedona, Arizona: Sedona is famous for its red rock formations, and there are several hiking trails that offer stunning views of the landscape. Many trails are free to access, and camping fees range from $18 to $20 per night. Visitors can also enjoy shopping, dining, and visiting art galleries in Sedona’s downtown area.
- Acadia National Park, Maine: Acadia National Park is perfect for those who love hiking, kayaking, and scenic drives. There are over 120 miles of hiking trails, and camping fees range from $15 to $30 per night. Visitors can also enjoy free ranger-led programs and explore the historic Schoodic Peninsula.
When camping and hiking, it’s important to come prepared with the right gear, including a comfortable backpack, sturdy hiking boots, and a tent that can withstand the elements. Additionally, many national parks have strict regulations on camping, so be sure to read up on the park’s rules and regulations before embarking on your adventure.
By choosing one of these budget-friendly places to travel in the USA, you can experience the beauty of the outdoors without spending a fortune.
Enjoying the Beach Without Breaking the Bank
The USA is home to some of the best beaches in the world, and fortunately, you don’t have to spend a fortune to enjoy their beauty. Here are some budget-friendly beach destinations that you can consider for your next trip:
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina: Myrtle Beach has been a popular vacation destination for decades, and for good reason. With its 60-mile stretch of soft, sandy beaches and a plethora of affordable rentals, this beach town is perfect for couples and families alike. You can enjoy the sun, surf, and sand, or check out the wide range of attractions available such as amusement parks, miniature golf courses, and water sports.
- Gulf Shores, Alabama: Located on the Gulf of Mexico, Gulf Shores offers all the perks of a beach vacation without the high price tag. With over 30 miles of white sand beaches and tons of free outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, and bird watching, this destination is a great option for nature lovers and budget-conscious travelers.
- Cannon Beach, Oregon: While the Pacific Northwest may not be the first place that comes to mind when you think of beach vacations, Cannon Beach is a hidden gem that’s definitely worth a visit. Famous for its stunning coastline and iconic Haystack Rock, this beach town offers vacation rentals at reasonable prices, plenty of outdoor activities such as hiking and kayaking, and unique local shops and restaurants.
- Corpus Christi, Texas: With an average temperature of 71 degrees Fahrenheit and over 100 miles of glistening coastline, Corpus Christi is a popular beach destination for visitors on a budget. You can relax on the beach, go on a fishing trip, visit the Texas State Aquarium, or take a scenic drive on Padre Island National Seashore without breaking the bank.
Remember that visiting these cheapest places to travel in the USA for couples or families doesn’t mean sacrificing on fun or quality time. There are plenty of budget-friendly activities and accommodations that will allow you to fully enjoy your getaway without worrying about your finances.
Visiting Historical Sites on a Budget
If you’re looking to explore historical sites on a budget, the United States has many options. Here are some of the cheapest places to travel in the USA for couples or anyone wanting to experience the past without spending a fortune:
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. You can visit Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and many historical landmarks for free or for a small fee. Plus, Philadelphia is known for its delicious cheesesteaks and soft pretzels, which won’t break the bank.
- Charleston, South Carolina. Charleston is home to many well-preserved historical homes, churches, and plantations. While some tours can be expensive, you can explore the city’s many parks, cobblestone streets, and public markets for little to no cost. You can also enjoy the city’s beaches and seafood restaurants, which are budget-friendly.
- St. Augustine, Florida. St. Augustine is the oldest continuously inhabited European-established settlement in the United States, and the historical district is filled with Spanish colonial architecture and landmarks. You can also explore the Castillo de San Marcos and the nearby beaches.
- Boston, Massachusetts. Boston is known for its role in the American Revolution, and visitors can explore the Freedom Trail, which is a 2.5-mile trail that leads to 16 historical sites. You can also visit the USS Constitution Museum and the famous Fenway Park.
- Savannah, Georgia. Savannah is home to many historical landmarks, including the birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low (founder of the Girl Scouts) and the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences. You can explore the city’s many squares, parks, and museums, and enjoy the local Southern cuisine.
When visiting these locations, be sure to research free or discounted admission days, as well as affordable transportation options. With careful planning and a willingness to explore, you can enjoy these budget-friendly places to travel in the USA while experiencing the rich history and culture of the country.
Savoring Local Cuisine on a Shoestring
When you’re traveling on a budget, it can be tempting to skip out on the dining experiences in favor of fast food and convenience stores. But if you’re looking to truly experience the culture of the cheapest places to travel in the USA on a budget, you’ll want to make room in your itinerary for some local cuisine. Here are some tips on savoring local cuisine on a shoestring.
Seek out food trucks and outdoor markets
One of the cheapest and most fun ways to taste local flavors is through food trucks and outdoor markets. Many cities in the USA have a vibrant food truck scene, offering unique and delicious bites at a fraction of the cost of traditional restaurants. And for a truly authentic experience, stop by a local outdoor market for homemade goods and fresh produce.
Ask locals for recommendations
You can save money and get the inside scoop on the best food in town by simply asking locals for recommendations. Strike up a conversation with your Airbnb host, your hotel concierge, or a friendly local you meet at a coffee shop. They’ll likely have a list of mom-and-pop restaurants and hidden gems that you won’t find in any travel guide.
Share meals or opt for appetizers
If you’re traveling with a partner, take advantage of the opportunity to share meals. Many restaurants offer large portions that can easily feed two people for the price of one. Alternatively, if you’re dining solo, consider skipping the entree and opting for a few appetizers or small plates instead. This will allow you to sample a wider range of dishes without breaking the bank.
Search for Happy Hour Specials
If you’re a couple traveling on a budget, look for happy hour specials, which often include discounted drinks and appetizers. You’ll be able to enjoy a night out without breaking the bank.
Plan your visit around food festivals
If you’re a foodie looking to experience unique flavors and local dishes, plan your visit around food festivals. Many towns and cities in the USA host food festivals throughout the year, offering a chance to sample a wide range of local flavors at reasonable prices.
With these tips, you can enjoy the budget-friendly places to travel in the USA and still savor the local cuisine.
Conclusion: Traveling the USA for Less
Traveling doesn’t have to break the bank, and with these budget-friendly destinations, you can have an amazing experience without spending a lot. Whether you’re a couple on a romantic getaway or a traveler exploring solo, there are plenty of options for the cheapest places to travel in the USA.
From the natural beauty of the Great Smoky Mountains to the urban thrills of Memphis, there’s something for everyone. You can also find great deals on accommodations and food, making your trip to these budget-friendly places in the USA even more affordable.
Here are some of the cheapest places to travel in the USA on a budget:
- Memphis, Tennessee: Known for its blues music and BBQ, Memphis is a great destination for budget-friendly travel. You can visit Graceland, the home of Elvis Presley, for under $50 and enjoy free live music on Beale Street.
- Austin, Texas: With a vibrant music scene and numerous outdoor activities, Austin is perfect for budget-friendly travel. You can check out the live music scene for free at venues like the Continental Club or explore the Barton Creek Greenbelt for some outdoor adventure.
- Asheville, North Carolina: The charming town of Asheville is an affordable destination for couples and solo travelers alike. You can hike the nearby Blue Ridge Mountains, visit the Biltmore Estate, or explore the many art galleries and breweries in town.
- The Great Smoky Mountains, Tennessee/North Carolina: As one of the most popular national parks in the country, the Great Smoky Mountains are a must-visit destination for those on a budget. You can camp for as little as $20 a night or take a scenic drive through the park for free.
- Las Vegas, Nevada: While Las Vegas is known for its high rollers and expensive hotels, there are plenty of budget-friendly options available. You can find great deals on hotels and enjoy free attractions like the Bellagio fountains or the Flamingo Wildlife Habitat.
No matter where you choose to go, traveling in the USA on a budget is definitely possible. With a little planning and research, you can have an amazing trip without spending a fortune.